Pages

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

eBookish Kicks by Tad


              

   eBook Publisher as a Roadrunner  

     
     Starting a publishing company yesterday, what did you need? Two things. First, a dry, brick-wall place, and second, a solid business plan. Before I forget ... you also needed a bundle of cash for the shelves, desks, phones, faxes, printers, calculators, supplies and utilities.

     So yesterday, running a publishing enterprise from home seemed smart. Otherwise, the “overhead” could choke the startup. But there was a killer-disadvantage to running a paper publishing company – the paper tended to grow in bulk.

     I recall running a literary magazine, "Kontakty" from my Berkeley, California studio. The slush pile “oozed” from my kitchen table down to the floor, then across my living room, and finally, into my bathtub. When the submissions had blanketed my bed, my sex life came to screeching halt. Bringing clients over proved risky. One look at my “dump” threatened to strip my small press of any legitimacy.

     Starting a company today, there's none of that. Proofs and galleys? Gone. Slush pile? Cleaned. All stuff is stored, proofed, and saved online. What about the bundle of cash? A bundle of cash is always welcome, of course, but there's no shelves, desks, or other office equipment to buy. We're not a brick-and-mortar publishing house. We're an epublisher.

     Writers and Lovers Studio is really a roadrunner. The company consists of Kindle e-readers “on the go” – stretching our living room to hotel rooms, cafe tables, airport lounges, and palm-thatch bars. No walls, brick-  or otherwise.



by


No comments:

Post a Comment